Many bloggers do not know that there are other blogging platforms such as TypePad and Live Journal besides Blogger and WordPress. However, it is true that Blogger and WordPress are the two most commonly used blogging platforms currently. Most bloggers start with either Blogger or WordPress after hearing about them from someone else and then stick with that blogging platform.

However, Blogger and WordPress are two very different types of blogging platform. Different people find different platform suitable for their needs. For example, I personally find Blogger easier to use while others do not. Some find it extremely difficult to choose which one they should stick with. Should they go with WordPress or Blogger? Below I have highlighted some essential features and advantages that I think will help newbies decide which blogging platform they should start their blog with.


Blogger
Blogger is an old company that was acquired by Google few years ago. The fact that it is owned by the most popular search engine definitely assures professionalism and quality service.

Features/Advantages

  1. Free blog
  2. Unlimited storage
  3. No need to have posts reviewed before publishing
  4. Compatible with other Google services such as Picassa, YouTube etc.
  5. Use your GMail account to publish blogs
  6. Less restrictions on content creation and selling reviews and links
  7. Very easy to use
  8. Easy integration of Google Adsense
WordPress
I am no expert when it comes to WordPress. I have tried to use it several times but every time, I have found it too difficult for daily use. Nonetheless, this blogging platform is used by several webmasters to create professional blogs. Several famous blogs use WordPress.

Features/Advantages
  1. Free Blog
  2. Several attractive themes available
  3. Great Plug-ins available such as the popular SEO plug-in
  4. Clean, professional look
  5. Hosts files on your own server
These are some essential features and advantages that I think every blogger should know before deciding which platform to use. Of course, both platforms have disadvantages as well. For example, WordPress doesn't allow bloggers to sell links and paid reviews and Blogger comes with very few built-in plug-ins.

My Opinion
I have been using Blogger for more than seven months and I have been told several times to shift to WordPress but I find Blogger so much simpler and easier to use than WordPress. While WordPress may be more flexible, I prefer to stick with simplicity for the time being. If you are a new blogger who doesn't know much about blogging then you should go with Blogger. Once you gain some experience, you can choose which platform to go with.

Remember, there are other blogging platforms as well which might be more useful to you than Blogger and WordPress. So do check them out if you don't like Blogger and WordPress.

Your Opinion
Now that you have heard my opinion, it is time to share your opinion with me and my readers. Which do you prefer - Blogger or WordPress? Why?

Image Source
--------------------------
Some Useful Links
Ad perfect - Google Blog
Follow your favorite blogs - Google Blog
Quality, not quantity - Inside AdSense
New in labs: Reply add-ons
New in labs: 3 experiments with labels

Bookmark this post:
StumpleUpon Ma.gnolia DiggIt! Del.icio.us Blinklist Yahoo Furl Technorati Simpy Spurl Reddit Google

12 comments
  1. Sean September 13, 2008 at 10:04 PM  

    It's really a tough call. There are a number of features in both platforms that make them very usable. I don't find that Wordpress is particularly complicated. I think that the first thing that drew my attention to Wordpress was the ability to run it on my own server. Now days though, I run my blog at Wordpress.com and have been very happy with the service. Frankly, I don't think it probably really matters. I'd suggest that people just try them out and pick the one that seems best.

  2. Anonymous September 14, 2008 at 1:58 AM  

    It's probably important to note that Wordpress's software (which you install on your own server) is much more impressive than Wordpress.com. If you make that distinction, they're two very different systems.

    Wordpress is a viable content management system (cms), which can run a blog without having the typical layout or linear, 10 posts per page style. If you know a bit of CSS, you can make it just about anything. (Which is to say, if you don't know enough code to run a proper website CMS, it's a good solution).

    Ubyssey.ca is a good example of a fairly complex site running on Wordpress.

    Perhaps Blogger is better streamlined, but I've never had any problems selling ads using Wordpress—you can insert code where ever you want.

    So the key difference here is probably if you want to put the time in to learn CSS or if you want to focus purely on content.

  3. LK Mawkin September 14, 2008 at 4:47 AM  

    I started using Wordpress.com and have no particlar issue except that Blogger is closer to google where i use my gmail and hence trying to see does it really make a difference?
    Can't say right now---

  4. Anonymous September 14, 2008 at 6:08 PM  

    my 2 cents... comparison would just be between blogger.com and wordpress.com and my choice would be blogger.com since you have more freedom when it comes to monetizing your blog.

    WordPress, the blogging system that you can install in your own domain, is out of the equation though. It's far more superior than both of the blogger.com and wordpress.com combined.

  5. Rusty Ferguson September 15, 2008 at 2:09 AM  

    I have not done so yet but I think it would be really a good idea to have blogs on both blogger and your own wordpress sites.

    Perhaps blogging about your other websites would not be a bad idea as long as you have quality content in your blogger blog. It could be done.

    I doubt I'm the first that has thought of this. :)

    If I were choosing FREE accounts on either Blogger or WordPress I would go with Blogger. Actually I do have a blogger account out there some where, created when owned by the original company.. :)

  6. seoforblogging September 15, 2008 at 6:11 AM  

    I guess it is clear that a lot of people like blogger than wordpress.com but when it comes to the actual blogging system then WordPress is the preferred option.

    Thanks for the comment guys. I really appreciate it. :)

  7. Unknown September 15, 2008 at 6:19 AM  

    I Started out on Blogger and have stuck with it. My readership is next to zero from what I can gather, but that is probably down to the poor/uninteresting quality of what I post. I have found the recent development of the following, and integration with Reader very useful.

    I wonder though if I should move fully to somewhere that has more of a thriving "community feel", like the webcomics on Livejournal.

  8. West Egg Productions September 15, 2008 at 8:28 AM  

    i might be totally missing something BUT, i'm on blogger and one thing that bothers me is that there is no "subscribe" tool. if anyone knows of anything like this, please let me know.

  9. Anonymous September 15, 2008 at 11:04 AM  

    Wordpress is fine when it comes to make professional blogs as you say. Also its free from ads. Whereas the main advantage of Blogger is that it supports both Adsense and Java Script.

    In Wordpress, the widgets cannot be used to paste java Scripts. Any how, I stick on to Wordpress, because it have a good interface, Blog Stat feature, Comments moderation and lots more :)

  10. seoforblogging September 15, 2008 at 11:19 AM  

    @ West Egg Productions - What do you mean by "subscribe" tool? If you referring to a widget to allow readers to subscribe to your blog then you can simply use Feedburner for that.

  11. Anonymous September 17, 2008 at 1:22 AM  

    There's really no comparison, WordPress is by far the better platform. More importantly, you can control your own content because you host the blog on your own servers - no-one can tell you what to do, what to post and so on.

  12. Anonymous September 17, 2008 at 4:07 AM  

    I agree, Word Press is by far better than blogger. I host my personal blog on blogger, because Word PRess didn't exist when I started it, and find the format extremely constraining, though very easy to use. I publish a professional blog at work on a word press platform and the page is able to host not only my blog entries but customizable blogrolls, tag clouds, subscribe feature, and best of all headline links which let me advertise my own organization (link that I know drive traffic to the site). Our webmasters at work love to point out just how many professional websites also run on Wordpress, its far more sophisticated. That said, without time to learn the coding, you are better off using blogger for the quick and dirty site.

Post a Comment